Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sleepworking

What I'm doing: Thinking about working. Drinking coffee.

Last night I couldn't sleep at all, which was obviously not ideal. So, I thought to myself that if I wasn't sleeping, I could at least be working.
Reasonable, right?
So, I crawled out of bed, went downstairs, kicked Luna out of her comfy spot in front of my laptop and booted it up.
And I stared at the screen.
And my fingers hovered over the keyboard.
And my thoughts got foggy and my eyelids got heavy.
Okay, apparently, I was sleepy after all.
So, I turned off my computer, put Luna back in her spot (covering her with my favorite blanket by way of an apology) and went back to bed.
And I lay there.
And I rolled over.
And I thought about the multiple hypotheses for the uplift of my study area and the implications my results had for these hypotheses.
Great.
This led me to invent a new word - sleepworking. Sleepworking is the state in which you are too tired to work and too preoccupied with work to sleep. In the advanced stages of sleepworking, the sufferer may experience dreams in which they are working or may do work that they have no memory of at a later date.
Everyone experiences sleepworking from time to time. Much like its related disorder, sleepwalking, it is unhealthy, not restful, and sometimes downright dangerous. Who knows what crazy ideas you might put to paper in that state??? In that semi-comatose, over-stimulated, self-defeating, paradoxical mental state you might do anything. You might even compose a blog entry in your head about a made-up word.
Not that I would know anything about that sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment