Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Baby the Beast

My first blog....

What I'm working on: Rewriting my East Africa Chapter from a hard copy after my disk failed. :(
Days to Defense: 29

I've spent the day wondering how it got to be this way between me and my dissertation. My dissertation should be my baby, my heart and soul on paper. After all, I've spent six years of my life on it. I've sacrificed salary, family, and sanity. I've gone without sleep, dealt with health problems from amoebic dysentery to stomach ulcers to carpal tunnel syndrome. I've even gotten one gray hair!!!! All of this because I love my research. I want to know the truth. Call me crazy - you'd probably be right - but I truly care deeply about what's going on in the Earth under Africa.
But somewhere along the way, my baby became a beast. It became the anchor that weighs me down and the wall standing in my path. I just want, desperately, to be done. If something is wrong - I don't even want to know about it! Those aren't the thoughts of a true scientist! Where are my ideals, where is my curiosity? I've nurtured my baby dissertation, but little did I know that it would become an ugly ungrateful beast that would turn around and beat me - its mother, its creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment