Friday, November 23, 2012

McMurdo

We arrived yesterday at McMurdo, which is a station located on Ross Island. The weather has been great so far, pretty close to freezing and quite comfortable when the wind isn't blowing. (When the wind is going, though, I'm very glad for some head and hand protection!) At our intake briefing, they told us that there are roughly 1000 people at the station now (a little fewer than normal for the summer season) including the scientists, military personnel, and the USAP workers who do everything from building stuff, arranging shipping, handling logistics, cleaning, cooking - you name it.

The first day was pretty crazy as I followed Patrick around while he talked to everyone (seriously - everyone!) and tried to get my bearings. Within an hour, we'd met a bunch of people, got our computers setup, got our luggage to our rooms, checked out the office, picked up our bedding, and arranged some training. Whew! I ran into Sam shortly after arrival who is here with her students to setup her Tamnet stations. (You know you have awesome friends when after not seeing them for months, you meet-up in Antarctica!) Former Penn Staters are out in full-force here. In addition to myself and Sam, Yongcheol Park and Andrew Lloyd are here in the lab as well as current PSU students Marsella and Priscilla. I'm told that Paul Winberry is somewhere around (although I haven't seen him), Feggy is on his way today, and Andy Nyblade and Audrey Huerta will be arriving shortly before my departure. Basically, Penn State is taking over Antarctica!

I went out for a few drinks last night with Sam and her "kids" for 80's night at one of the bars. Yes, not only is there are bar at the station, there are several! Today has been a lazy day as it is the Thanksgiving holiday (celebrated a little late here) and everyone has the day off. I'm slowly getting my bearings and generally enjoying myself. Tonight is the big meal (legendary) and a Thanksgiving party, so I should have some fun stuff to share next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment