Friday, December 14, 2012

A Week of No Flying!

It's been a long time since my last post. We had a very long week, during which we couldn't leave the station. Every day, we woke up, got dressed, went to breakfast, and then got the weather report - saying we couldn't fly. Occasionally, the pilots would tell us that the weather might clear up in the afternoon, but it never did. It's been a long week, and I've discovered that it can be very hard to do nothing for a long period of time. The days start to blend together, and you lose all motivation. Some team members have taken to having several naps a day. :)

Yesterday, Thomas returned to McMurdo. Although it was sad to see another of the team members leave, this does mean that we can switch our focus to the AGAP sites, instead of the handful of sites that are collocated with the GPS stations. And, another PASSCAL employee, Doug, came in to help us do the demobilization and installs. Unfortunately, he'll need to acclimate to the altitude, so he won't be ready for the field until Monday.

It's been difficult to find things to do. I've finished processing a block of data for my research. I've watched several movies. I've taken naps, walked around the station inside and out taking pictures. And today, I put together the most difficult puzzle ever. I think everyone else on the station must be as bored as I am because they were very interested in my puzzle. And puzzle assembling is not exactly exciting work!

No comments:

Post a Comment